Upgrade ubuntu to the next release versions ex: 14 to 16 & 16 to 18 & 18 to 20
- Take the required snapshots/backups
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade -y
- sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- sudo do-release-upgrade
The do-release-upgrade process will
- Create the backup alternative ssh port 1022
- Purge the unwanted old version files
- Will ask you to keep or overwrite for thirds party files like nrpe etc….
- Will reboot with your approval
root@ip-10-74-18-102:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Checking for a new Ubuntu release Please install all available updates for your release before upgrading.
Solution: You need to run apt-get dist-upgrade